Sunday, October 29, 2006

What is Naomi?

So I finally studied my name… Naomi… what does it really mean?

First off…. IT IS HEBREW and NOT Japanese….! Once too often I have to educate many well-meaning individuals… Though for their benefit, I typically take such comments to be complements… I guess.... I do seem to come from a rather… well… Exotic breed… hahaha… but seriouly, as far as I can tell, I am as Chinese as one can be…

Back to serious business… According to Vine’s (which is the only way I can ever understand Hebrew on my own)….

Naomi (no-om-ee) = pleasant
(and before u scream… think first… I am pleasant in more ways than you think… =)

It does come from a Hebrew root word (naw-ame), which has many other related words (nah-am, nah-am-aw, no-am, new-eem), that essentially means the following:
agreeable, pass in beauty, delightful, pleasant (- ure), sweet, splendor, grace.

Further search through Strong’s Concordance showed that these group of words typically appeared as Pleasant, Sweet and Beauty in the bible.

As pleasant / beauty, the scriptures tended to focus on knowledge and words... but it was a verse that talked about beauty that really struck a chord and really gave a voice to my heart....

Psalms 27:4
"One thing I have desired (asked) of the Lord, that will I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord (in His presence)
all the days of my life,
to behold (and gaze upon) the BEAUTY (the sweet attractiveness and the delightful loveliness) of the Lord
and to inquire in His temple"
(NJKV+Amplified)

Isn't it amazing my friends?
we are transformed into His image when we behold Him... we become beautiful as He is without any conscious effort... we just dwell in His presence and behold His beauty....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com